To protect scenic vistas, geological features and farmland that visually define Simsbury’s character and provide healthy habitats for local wildlife and plants.
Founded in 1976, the Simsbury Land Trust is a federally-recognized, not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization. Governed by a volunteer board of trustees elected by the membership, the SLT currently has over 700 member families.
- Acquired 34 parcels of land, representing over 1000 acres of permanently protected land.
- Increased membership from 325 in 1998 to over 700 in 2013.
- Permanently protected three of the major farms in Simsbury.
- Built the bog walk in West Simsbury, allowing a close up view of 40 acres of unique wetland without damaging the fragile surface vegetation.
- Installed informational signs on several recreation trails that provide educational facts and historical information about the land.
- Increase public awareness of land protection issues by producing Landlines, a newsletter sent annually to all Simsbury residents.
- Organize recreation and education activities for members and residents, with nearly 300 participants annually.
- Publishes The Simsbury Walkbook: A Guide to Local Hiking, available to members free of charge.
- Dirty Boots Kids Club gives young children an opportunity to learn about nature and the environment in a comfortable kid-friendly pace at locations appropriate for families.
- Green Scenes, our documentary film and discussion series, provides an opportunity for interested individuals to watch a documentary film and discuss with a panel of experts. Shown six times per year at the Simsbury Public Library.
Working Together to Preserve Simsbury’s Natural Beauty and Healthy Environment:
As we approach full development, the choices we make regarding housing, commercial development, and permanent open space become critical. Considering them together gives us the opportunity to provide growth and to protect the natural beauty we often take for granted. Join the Simsbury Land Trust today and help preserve the natural beauty surrounding us!